- J. Lamont
Behind the Book: Author Update 2
The weekly update....
Well, it's been a shitshow for a solid month. Everything went out the window, including my Friday Author Updates. It's been a month since my last post!
Here's what's been happening:
1) Holidays- They are a huge timesuck. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE the holidays. But the amount of time I had to dedicate to wrapping gifts, shopping, and carting kids around to everywhere they needed to go meant any and all hopes of editing my WIP went right out the window. They were fun, however, and I enjoyed spending the extra time with my family and kiddos.
2) Horse- Maybe you remember I got a horse the first week of December. He was doing wonderfully, just a lot of extra work and time. And then, just shy of 3 weeks, he decided he wanted to jump out of the arena he was in.
Unfortunately, he didn't make the leap and got himself stuck, dangling from the top bar of the arena, half in and half out. Thankfully, someone else was there and knew what to do. We had to cut him out. Once the top bar was cut, he was able to finish leaping out.
I'm just going to say, it was super scary. He could have been seriously hurt, but thankfully, he made it out of the scenario with only scratches on his back legs. It did require me to conduct some first aid and to visit him twice a day to have his cuts treated and to walk him around to keep blood flowing and swelling down. But ultimately, he escaped this situation relatively unscathed.
Now, the downside? He was pissed! He was in such a bad mood for DAYS! So much so that he kept giving me his butt every time I would approach him. Which, in horse language, means, "Go pound sand, lady. I'll kick you if you get any closer." Needless to say, it was a super stressful experience. After several days of trying to avoid a hoof in my face right before Christmas, I had to change tactics, use some behavioral psychology, and really work at re-building the relationship and trust.
Today, almost 3 weeks since the accident, we're doing much better. He's not giving me his butt anymore, and he's slowly learning to trust me again. He's still testing limits and still trying to adjust to his new home, but we're definitely getting there.
3) The Day Job- Apart from holidays and murderous horses, I'm still juggling my day job. And as a therapist, the holiday season is a heavy time for so many, making my day job busier than usual.
So, there you have it. That's what I've been juggling since my last update almost a month ago. It's been a lot to manage, but I'm sure there's some good future novel material in all this mayhem. Because the reality is, the best books draw inspiration from real life. That's how I'm going to see it and stick to it!
With that said, I'm ready to get back in the saddle (hehe... horse pun) and get back to it. So, let's talk about what's happening in the author-side of things.
1) Goodreads- I'm really excited to share that I'm on Goodreads now! I love Goodreads and am happy to have an author profile on this platform. If you're on Goodreads, come follow me! I'm looking for bookish friends there and would love to have you. Come find me!
Also, Dissent is now on Goodreads too! Which means you can add it to your "Want to Read" bookshelf. Add it now so you can catch all the latest updates as we get closer and closer to publication.
2) Editing- I've started editing again, but it's going slow as I'm trying to get back on track. Things are moving, however, which is good, and I'm ready to begin holding myself accountable for my own progress. With that said, let's look at the plan....
The Plan: Originally, I wanted to have book 1 readthrough by the end of December. Well, that obviously didn't happen. And with things being way busier than ever before, I'm going to try and establish more realistic goals for myself.
So, I'm aiming to have my readthrough completed by the end of February. That gives me 6 weeks to work with and 48 chapters left to review. That means my goal is to review 8 chapters each week.
With that said, I'm going to be sharing snippets from this WIP on my social media accounts. So be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Goodreads to catch little tastes of this upcoming dystopian romance.