My weekly, Friday update....
Friday is here and I just came back from a lovely trip to Mammoth Lakes, CA. We camped at Coldwater Campground by Lake Mary, which was a gorgeous campground. Our site backed up to this big creek, flowing with tons of water. It was so relaxing to listen to it all night as we slept.
The downside of camping right by water like this? It's super buggy. Although we didn't have much mosquito activity (thank goodness!), we had tons of these tiny little gnat things. And, apparently, they LOVE to read, because every time I pulled out my current WIP to work on editing, they would swarm all over my book.
They were completely harmless, but it was super annoying and incredibly distracting. As such, my productivity was not as good as I was hoping it would be while I was out there. With that said, let's take a look at my progress for the past 2 weeks:
1. Goal: Complete Draft 2 Read Through
Result: Um... yea, I didn't do it. *sigh* I did way more relaxing and hiking than I did editing. I failed to meet this goal, and there's a part of me that is totally kicking myself for it. I did, however, manage to read through about 1/3 of Draft 2. That piece was good, and I'm really pleased with how it's turning out. There's still more work to be done with Act 1, but Act 2 is reading really well.
2. Goal: Generate Draft 2 Editing Notes
Result: Obviously, I didn't get this done either. Total bummer....
3. Bonus Goal: Begin Writing Draft 3
Result: Ok, so this was NOT a goal I intended in any way, shape, or form. But it totally happened. Let me explain....
So, as I was reading through Act 1, (remember I did a huge rewrite?) I noticed the new content was reading really well, but it added so much to Act 1 that it felt too long. As such, my brain was tinkering away, thinking of what should get cut out and how. As I was hiking 1 mile straight up a freakin' mountain (in truth, it was like climbing stairs for a mile), I figured out how I wanted to restructure scenes and what I was going to cut out.
When I got home, I tried to focus my attention on finishing my read through, but I got super nervous that I was going to forget how I wanted to restructure Act 1. So, I tabled the read through and dug into the rewrite of what will be Draft 3.
I know, I know... I probably should have worked more on the read through, but I'm really happy that I tinkered with Act 1 and got Draft 3 started. So, this is some bonus work I got done that I didn't intend on. In the end, I think it's good stuff!
So, here we are at the end of another week with Draft 2 still needing to be read. I've got so many things I'm juggling on my side of the world, but I'm seriously going to push myself to finish this read through. So, let's take a look at my goals:
The Plan: I want to get Draft 2 read in it's entirety. Father's Day is this weekend, so I know I'll be busy most of the weekend doing all the Father's Day stuff, but I think I can get it done.
If I can manage it, I also want to focus on getting my To-Do List set up for my read through of Draft 2. Highlighting everything I want fixed for Draft 3 keeps me organized and keeps me from being overwhelmed by the process.
That's it! If I can get both of these done this week, I'll totally be a happy camper! I hope you have a fabulous weekend and a great Father's Day celebration. And don't forget to keep turning the page!